This recipe was given to me from my very good friend Mary Beth Bajornas. She claims this is the “comfort” of meatloaf without all of the calories.
2 T olive oil
1/2 onion, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
1/2 red bell pepper, finely chopped
1 tsp. minced garlic plus 1 tsp
1 tsp of each, chopped: thyme, rosemary 113cup chopped parsley
2 egg whites
1.5 tsp Dijon mustard
1/4 cup ketchup
2 T Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup soy milk or low fat milk
2/3 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs
2 lb. ground turkey meat
2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. black pepper
1/2 cup canned tomatoes, crushed or chopped
Chopped parsley for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Heat oil and add onions, celery and bell pepper and cook Until softened or caramelized (about 5 minutes).
3. Add 2 teaspoons garlic and the herbs and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and cool.
4. Cool the vegetable mixture and add the eggs, mustard, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, and milk. Mix until combined. Add breadcrumbs, ground meat, salt and pepper, and mix only until incorporated.
5. Transfer to loaf pan and form. Pour tomato mixture over the top and bake for 45 minutes to an hour.
6. Season with salt and pepper, garnish with fresh parsley.
7. Note: Meatloaf is better when made a day before and reheated.
Do you have a favorite healthy recipe? Please feel free to send it to me directly at email@example.com.
visit me on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/HealthyAt102
Rock on my friends!